How many baby Guaira spiny rats are in a litter?
A Guaira spiny rat (Proechimys guairae) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 4 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 8 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 62 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 25 grams (0.06 lbs) and measure 19.1 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Echimyidae family (genus: Proechimys). An adult Guaira spiny rat grows up to a size of 19.7 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Guaira spiny-rat (Proechimys guairae) is a species of rodent in the family Echimyidae. It is endemic to Venezuela. It is commonly referred to as ‘casiragua’ to avoid confusion with true rats (Muroidea)
Other animals of the family Echimyidae
Guaira spiny rat is a member of the Echimyidae, as are these animals:
- Soft-spined Atlantic spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black-spined Atlantic tree-rat weighting only 224 grams
- Short-tailed spiny rat weighting only 285 grams
- Yellow-crowned brush-tailed rat weighting only 445 grams
- Rufous soft-furred spiny rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mouse-tailed Atlantic spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
- Tome’s spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Guyenne spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Pallid Atlantic tree-rat weighting only 215 grams
- Pará spiny tree-rat weighting only 108 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Guaira spiny rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Musky rat-kangaroo
- Eastern harvest mouse
- Sandy inland mouse
- Somali serotine
- Champion’s tree mouse
- Nyctophilus corbeni
- Chinese mole shrew
- Mexican woodrat
- African marsh rat
Animals with the same weight as a Guaira spiny rat
What other animals weight around 349 grams (0.77 lbs)?
- Guyenne spiny rat weighting 285 grams
- Emperor tamarin weighting 409 grams
- Madagascan fruit bat weighting 296 grams
- Goeldi’s spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Masoala fork-marked lemur weighting 409 grams
- Horse-tailed squirrel weighting 358 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Derby’s woolly opossum weighting 328 grams
- Samoa flying fox weighting 309 grams
- Bougainville naked-tailed rat weighting 397 grams