How many baby Hildegarde’s tomb bats are in a litter?
A Hildegarde’s tomb bat (Taphozous hildegardeae) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Emballonuridae family (genus: Taphozous). An adult Hildegarde’s tomb bat grows up to a size of 13.2 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Hildegarde’s tomb bat (Taphozous hildegardeae) is a species of sac-winged bat in the family Emballonuridae.It is found near the coast in Kenya and Tanzania where it feeds in tropical dry forests and roosts in caves. It is a diurnal species and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has assessed its conservation status as being “vulnerable”. The specific name hildegardeae was given in honour of anthropologist Hildegarde Beatrice Hinde.
Other animals of the family Emballonuridae
Hildegarde’s tomb bat is a member of the Emballonuridae, as are these animals:
- Theobald’s tomb bat weighting only 36 grams
- Isabelle’s ghost bat weighting only 12 grams
- Yellow-bellied sheath-tailed bat weighting only 45 grams
- Lesser ghost bat weighting only 13 grams
- Short-eared bat weighting only 5 grams
- Trinidad dog-like bat weighting only 4 grams
- Lesser dog-like bat weighting only 5 grams
- Long-winged tomb bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Coastal sheath-tailed bat weighting only 12 grams
- Mauritian tomb bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Hildegarde’s tomb bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Egyptian fruit bat
- Insular single leaf bat
- Galápagos fur seal
- Mountain tapir
- Long-fingered triok
- Ozimops planiceps
- Dwarf hutia
- Zanzibar red colobus
- Southern hairy-nosed wombat
- Pig-tailed langur
Animals with the same weight as a Hildegarde’s tomb bat
What other animals weight around 29 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Bibimys chacoensis weighting 28 grams
- Eastern heather vole weighting 27 grams
- Oligoryzomys arenalis weighting 25 grams
- White-eared pocket mouse weighting 24 grams
- Philippine pygmy squirrel weighting 27 grams
- Luzon Cordillera forest mouse weighting 34 grams
- Asian particolored bat weighting 24 grams
- Arnhem leaf-nosed bat weighting 25 grams
- Small pencil-tailed tree mouse weighting 28 grams
- Long-eared flying mouse weighting 27 grams