How many baby Hinde’s rock rats are in a litter?
A Hinde’s rock rat (Aethomys hindei) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 24 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Aethomys). An adult Hinde’s rock rat grows up to a size of 14.1 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Hinde’s rock rat (Aethomys hindei) is a species of rodent in the family Muridaefound in Burundi, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest, moist savanna, and subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Hinde’s rock rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Cursor grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Nyika climbing mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys destructor weighting only 25 grams
- Chestnut-bellied spiny rat weighting only 159 grams
- Jalapan pine vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Indian bush rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Large-scaled mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Vinogradov’s jird with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Target rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-tipped tufted-tailed rat weighting only 100 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Hinde’s rock rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Moupin pika
- Crested servaline genet
- Mexican small-eared shrew
- Florida mouse
- Sikkim mountain vole
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat
- Chinese ferret-badger
- Common mole-rat
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk
Animals with the same weight as a Hinde’s rock rat
What other animals weight around 141 grams (0.31 lbs)?
- Soft-spined Atlantic spiny rat weighting 168 grams
- Chestnut-bellied spiny rat weighting 159 grams
- Owl’s spiny rat weighting 114 grams
- Black-tailed tree rat weighting 125 grams
- Southern African vlei rat weighting 114 grams
- Leadbeater’s possum weighting 137 grams
- San Joaquin antelope squirrel weighting 160 grams
- Laminate vlei rat weighting 150 grams
- Gorongoza gerbil weighting 119 grams
- Echigo mole weighting 163 grams