How many baby Lesser long-fingered bats are in a litter?
A Lesser long-fingered bat (Miniopterus fraterculus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 155 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.2 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Miniopterus). An adult Lesser long-fingered bat grows up to a size of 15.6 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The lesser long-fingered bat (Miniopterus fraterculus), also known as the black clinging bat or lesser bent-winged bat, is a species of vesper bat in the family Vespertilionidae.It is found in western Southern Africa, south East Africa, and parts of Central Africa.Its natural habitats are temperate forests, temperate shrubland, caves, and subterranean habitats (other than caves).It has been assessed as least-concern by the IUCN.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Lesser long-fingered bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Spurrell’s woolly bat weighting only 3 grams
- Blanford’s bat weighting only 6 grams
- Little broad-nosed bat weighting only 10 grams
- Eastern long-fingered bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Northern bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Schlieffen’s bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Himalayan whiskered bat weighting only 2 grams
- Daubenton’s bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western broad-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Lesser long-fingered bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Atlantic titi
- Six-banded armadillo
- Black-footed mongoose
- Underwood’s bonneted bat
- Great fruit-eating bat
- Speke’s gazelle
- Dall sheep
- Southern pig-tailed macaque
- White-bellied free-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Lesser long-fingered bat
What other animals weight around 7 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Merriam’s pocket mouse weighting 6 grams
- Verapaz shrew weighting 7 grams
- Wollaston’s roundleaf bat weighting 6 grams
- Rendall’s serotine weighting 6 grams
- Rüppell’s pipistrelle weighting 7 grams
- Savi’s pipistrelle weighting 6 grams
- Bicolored roundleaf bat weighting 8 grams
- Sind bat weighting 7 grams
- Long-legged bat weighting 8 grams
- Grey long-eared bat weighting 6 grams