How many baby Lundomyss are in a litter?
A Lundomys (Lundomys molitor) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 12 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Cricetidae family (genus: Lundomys). An adult Lundomys grows up to a size of 45 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Lundomys molitor, also known as Lund’s amphibious rat or the greater marsh rat, is a semiaquatic rat species from southeastern South America.Its distribution is now restricted to Uruguay and nearby Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, but it previously ranged northward into Minas Gerais, Brazil, and southward into eastern Argentina. The Argentine form may have been distinct from the living form from Brazil and Uruguay. L. molitor is a large rodent, with the head and body length averaging 193 mm (7.6 in), characterized by a long tail, large hindfeet, and long and dense fur. It builds nests above the water, supported by reeds, and it is not currently threatened.Its external morphology is similar to that of Holochilus brasiliensis, and over the course of its complex taxonomic history it has been confused with that species, but other features support its placement in a distinct genus, Lundomys. Within the family Cricetidae and subfamily Sigmodontinae, it is a member of a group of specialized oryzomyine rodents that also includes Holochilus, Noronhomys, Carletonomys, and Pseudoryzomys.
Other animals of the family Cricetidae
Lundomys is a member of the Cricetidae, as are these animals:
- Middendorf’s vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Strong-tailed Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Abrothrix sanborni weighting only 24 grams
- Allegheny woodrat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Blyth’s vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western red-backed vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Kemp’s grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
- Handleyomys fuscatus weighting only 49 grams
- Hylaeamys laticeps weighting only 49 grams
- Abrothrix lanosus weighting only 27 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Lundomys
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Edward’s swamp rat
- Indian hedgehog
- Broad-toothed mouse
- Indian grey mongoose
- Pipistrellus mimus
- Malayan mountain spiny rat
- Web-footed tenrec
- Peters’s striped mouse
- Northern pygmy mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Lundomys
What other animals weight around 238 grams (0.52 lbs)?
- Goldman’s woodrat weighting 198 grams
- Belding’s ground squirrel weighting 272 grams
- Nectomys rattus weighting 249 grams
- Chinese zokor weighting 257 grams
- Saharan striped polecat weighting 218 grams
- Royle’s pika weighting 260 grams
- Arizona woodrat weighting 200 grams
- Savile’s bandicoot rat weighting 260 grams
- Long-tailed weasel weighting 191 grams
- Yellow-bellied weasel weighting 264 grams