How many baby Mauritian flying foxs are in a litter?
A Mauritian flying fox (Pteropus niger) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 137 grams (0.3 lbs) and measure 15 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Pteropus). An adult Mauritian flying fox grows up to a size of 27.9 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mauritian flying fox (Pteropus niger), also known as Greater Mascarene flying fox or Mauritius fruit bat is a large megabat species endemic to Mauritius and La Réunion.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Mauritian flying fox is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Woodford’s fruit bat weighting only 30 grams
- Salim Ali’s fruit bat raching a size of 10.6 cm (0′ 5″)
- Minor epauletted fruit bat weighting only 44 grams
- Sulawesi flying fox weighting only 383 grams
- Guadalcanal monkey-faced bat weighting only 489 grams
- Pteropus temmincki weighting only 250 grams
- Mariana fruit bat weighting only 458 grams
- Moluccan flying fox weighting only 728 grams
- Moluccan naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 465 grams
- Demonic tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 53 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Mauritian flying fox
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Mantled guereza
- Admiralty Island cuscus
- Eared hutia
- Underwood’s bonneted bat
- Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin
- Red-eared guenon
- Günther’s dik-dik
- Brown woolly monkey
- Royal antelope
Animals with the same weight as a Mauritian flying fox
What other animals weight around 473 grams (1.04 lbs)?
- Giant pocket gopher weighting 499 grams
- Colburn’s tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Squirrel-toothed rat weighting 511 grams
- Texas pocket gopher weighting 397 grams
- Social tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Golden bandicoot weighting 425 grams
- Prevost’s squirrel weighting 400 grams
- Peruvian tuco-tuco weighting 489 grams
- Junín red squirrel weighting 482 grams
- Franklin’s ground squirrel weighting 458 grams