How many baby Schlieffen’s bats are in a litter?
A Schlieffen’s bat (Nycticeinops schlieffeni) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 78 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 2.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Nycticeinops). An adult Schlieffen’s bat grows up to a size of 54.5 cm (1′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Schlieffen’s bat or Schlieffen’s twilight bat (Nycticeinops schlieffeni) is a species of vesper bat found in Africa. It has been placed in numerous genera since its first description in 1859, but morphological and genetic studies have confirmed it as the only species in the genus Nycticeinops. It is named for the collector of the original specimen, Wilhelm von Schlieffen-Schlieffiennburg.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Schlieffen’s bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Argentine brown bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hodgson’s bat weighting only 7 grams
- Natal long-fingered bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Canyon bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tacarcuna bat weighting only 12 grams
- Lesser mouse-eared bat weighting only 21 grams
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-winged serotine weighting only 5 grams
- Kerivoula hardwickei with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Little forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Schlieffen’s bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Brown bear
- Giant white-tailed rat
- Indian hedgehog
- Rusty-spotted cat
- Cape ground squirrel
- Jungle palm squirrel
- Geoffroy’s cat
- Blanford’s rat
- Val’s gundi
Animals with the same weight as a Schlieffen’s bat
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Gray sac-winged bat weighting 6 grams
- Brown tube-nosed bat weighting 4 grams
- Fly River trumpet-eared bat weighting 5 grams
- Iberian shrew weighting 6 grams
- Maclaud’s horseshoe bat weighting 4 grams
- Flores woolly bat weighting 6 grams
- Elgon shrew weighting 6 grams
- Southeast Asian long-fingered bat weighting 6 grams
- Large-eared gray shrew weighting 5 grams
- Elegant myotis weighting 4 grams