How many baby Siberian musk deers are in a litter?
A Siberian musk deer (Moschus moschiferus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 175 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 498 grams (1.1 lbs) and measure 2.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Moschidae family (genus: Moschus). An adult Siberian musk deer grows up to a size of 90 cm (3′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Siberian musk deer (Moschus moschiferus) is a musk deer found in the mountain forests of Northeast Asia. It is most common in the taiga of southern Siberia, but is also found in parts of Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, Manchuria and the Korean peninsula.Their small shape allows them to hide from predators through tiny openings in the rocky terrain and also allow them to run exceptionally fast from their predators. Although bearing fangs, Siberian musk deer are actually herbivores with their main source of nutrients being lichens.Due to the severe amount of poaching for its musk gland, the deer population is continuing to decrease. It is expected that the population will be reduced to at least 30% over the next three generations. However, efforts from each sighted countries are beginning to reintroduce the musk deer’s population.
Other animals of the family Moschidae
Siberian musk deer is a member of the Moschidae, as are these animals:
- Dwarf musk deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black musk deer weighting around 13.6 kilograms (29.98 lbs)
- Alpine musk deer with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Siberian musk deer
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Birdlike noctule
- Lion-tailed macaque
- Grant’s forest shrew
- Hoffmann’s two-toed sloth
- Unadorned rock-wallaby
- Lowland paca
- Northern plains gray langur
- Long-nosed potoroo
Animals with the same weight as a Siberian musk deer
What other animals weight around 13.31 kg (29.34 lbs)?
- Indian crested porcupine usually reaching 14.3 kgs (31.53 lbs)
- African civet usually reaching 12.09 kgs (26.65 lbs)
- Black-striped wallaby usually reaching 11.23 kgs (24.76 lbs)
- Marine otter usually reaching 11.2 kgs (24.69 lbs)
- Siamang usually reaching 10.84 kgs (23.9 lbs)
- Black-fronted duiker usually reaching 14.44 kgs (31.83 lbs)
- Caracal usually reaching 11.98 kgs (26.41 lbs)
- Gray snub-nosed monkey usually reaching 12.27 kgs (27.05 lbs)
- Iberian lynx usually reaching 11.08 kgs (24.43 lbs)
- White-bellied duiker usually reaching 13.1 kgs (28.88 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Siberian musk deer
Also reaching around 90 cm (3′ 0″) in size do these animals:
- Goa (antelope) gets as big as 98 cm (3′ 3″)
- Steenbok gets as big as 82.4 cm (2′ 9″)
- Peters’s duiker gets as big as 1.02 meter (3′ 4″)
- Alpine musk deer gets as big as 90 cm (3′ 0″)
- Common wombat gets as big as 98.6 cm (3′ 3″)
- Pacarana gets as big as 75 cm (2′ 6″)
- Klipspringer gets as big as 82.4 cm (2′ 9″)
- Asian golden cat gets as big as 89 cm (3′ 0″)
- Thomson’s gazelle gets as big as 88.5 cm (2′ 11″)
- Black musk deer gets as big as 90 cm (3′ 0″)