How many baby Spectacled flying foxs are in a litter?
A Spectacled flying fox (Pteropus conspicillatus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 19.1 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Pteropus). An adult Spectacled flying fox grows up to a size of 25.4 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The spectacled flying fox (Pteropus conspicillatus), also known as the spectacled fruit bat, is a megabat that lives in Australia’s north-eastern regions of Queensland. It is also found in New Guinea and on the offshore islands including Woodlark Island, Alcester Island, Kiriwina, and Halmahera.The spectacled flying fox was listed as a threatened species under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act of 1991. They were considered vulnerable due to a significant decline in numbers as a result of loss of their prime feeding habitat and secluded camp sites. It has also been reported that spectacled flying foxes skim over the surface of water to drink and are sometimes eaten by crocodiles. The species was classified as “least concern” by the IUCN in 2008.In February 2019 the Australian government upgraded the threatened status from vulnerable to endangered, after almost a third of the bat population died in a severe heatwave in Queensland in late 2018.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Spectacled flying fox is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Bougainville monkey-faced bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Dragon tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 30 grams
- New Caledonia flying fox weighting only 151 grams
- Western naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 226 grams
- Comoro rousette weighting only 45 grams
- Livingstone’s fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Broad-striped tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 85 grams
- Sulawesi naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 301 grams
- Veldkamp’s dwarf epauletted fruit bat weighting only 21 grams
- Sulawesi harpy fruit bat weighting only 116 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Spectacled flying fox
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Eastern forest bat
- Northern hairy-nosed wombat
- Van Gelder’s bat
- Dian’s tarsier
- Wahlberg’s epauletted fruit bat
- Azara’s night monkey
- Pallid bat
- Thomas’s sac-winged bat
- Red-necked pademelon
Animals with the same weight as a Spectacled flying fox
What other animals weight around 759 grams (1.67 lbs)?
- Brown-tailed mongoose weighting 711 grams
- Utah prairie dog weighting 900 grams
- Solomons flying fox weighting 661 grams
- Black squirrel monkey weighting 784 grams
- Long-nosed short-tailed opossum weighting 765 grams
- Stump-tailed porcupine weighting 832 grams
- Rakali weighting 626 grams
- Bronze quoll weighting 896 grams
- Tailless tenrec weighting 894 grams
- Swynnerton’s bush squirrel weighting 675 grams