How many baby Tweedy’s crab-eating rats are in a litter?
A Tweedy’s crab-eating rat (Ichthyomys tweedii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 341 grams (0.75 lbs) and measure 15.1 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Ichthyomys). An adult Tweedy’s crab-eating rat grows up to a size of 57.3 cm (1′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Tweedy’s crab-eating rat (Ichthyomys tweedii) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found in two disjoint regions in western Ecuador and central Panama. The species is found near fast-flowing streams in primary and secondary forest, and is known from elevations of 900 to 1700 m. It is presumed that like other members of its genus, it nocturnal and semiaquatic, and feeds on freshwater invertebrates, such as crabs. This rodent is threatened by habitat destruction and water pollution.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Tweedy’s crab-eating rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Ethiopian striped mouse weighting only 18 grams
- Kaiser’s rock rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Oreoryzomys weighting only 60 grams
- Tamarisk jird with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Macmillan’s thicket rat weighting only 37 grams
- Cotton mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Slender harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Long-nosed mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Darwin’s leaf-eared mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Nectomys squamipes with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Tweedy’s crab-eating rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Reeves’s muntjac
- Mountain nyala
- Silky cuscus
- Northern olingo
- Brazilian brown bat
- Grey-cheeked mangabey
- Northern glider
- Crescent nail-tail wallaby
- Antillean fruit-eating bat
Animals with the same weight as a Tweedy’s crab-eating rat
What other animals weight around 119 grams (0.26 lbs)?
- Island tube-nosed fruit bat weighting 107 grams
- Leadbeater’s possum weighting 137 grams
- Garden dormouse weighting 115 grams
- Mountain viscacha rat weighting 124 grams
- Lesser ricefield rat weighting 104 grams
- Unexpected cotton rat weighting 140 grams
- Rough-haired golden mole weighting 112 grams
- Creek groove-toothed swamp rat weighting 121 grams
- Woolly giant rat weighting 116 grams
- Fraternal hill rat weighting 130 grams