How many baby Zanzibar bushbabys are in a litter?
A Zanzibar bushbaby (Galago zanzibaricus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 120 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 14 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Galagidae family (genus: Galago). An adult Zanzibar bushbaby grows up to a size of 88.5 cm (2′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Zanzibar bushbaby, Matundu dwarf galago, Udzungwa bushbaby, or Zanzibar galago (Paragalago zanzibaricus) is a primate of the family Galagidae. An adult typically weighs 150 grams (5.3 oz), its head-body length is 14 to 15 centimetres (5.5 to 5.9 in) and its tail is between 12 and 15 centimetres (4.7 and 5.9 in) long. Like other species of galagos, its diet consists mainly of fruit, insects, and tree gums.It is the most widespread and abundant bushbaby in the coastal forests of Tanzania. It is thought to prefer the mid to high canopy of tropical coastal forest, submontane and lowland tropical forest. It has one or two young per year.There are two subspecies of this bushbaby:P. z. zanzibaricus, from ZanzibarP. z. udzungwensis, from mainland Tanzania
Other animals of the family Galagidae
Zanzibar bushbaby is a member of the Galagidae, as are these animals:
- Prince Demidoff’s bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Silvery greater galago with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Thomas’s bushbaby weighting only 117 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Zanzibar bushbaby
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Brazilian porcupine
- Malayan civet
- Hairy-fronted muntjac
- Hottentot golden mole
- Speke’s pectinator
- Lappet-eared free-tailed bat
- Mountain nyala
- Red-tailed monkey
- Baikal seal
Animals with the same weight as a Zanzibar bushbaby
What other animals weight around 147 grams (0.32 lbs)?
- Narrow-striped marsupial shrew weighting 124 grams
- Lunda rope squirrel weighting 135 grams
- Hairless bat weighting 169 grams
- Jungle palm squirrel weighting 135 grams
- Magdalena rat weighting 130 grams
- Greater fairy armadillo weighting 130 grams
- Dwarf flying fox weighting 122 grams
- Gray tree rat weighting 150 grams
- Lorentz’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 150 grams
- Isarog shrew-rat weighting 122 grams