It is hard to guess what a Cape gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Cape gerbil (Gerbilliscus afra) on average weights 92 grams (0.2 lbs).
The Cape gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). It is usually born with about 4 grams (0.01 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 15.4 cm (0′ 7″). On average, Cape gerbils can have babies 6 times per year with a litter size of 3.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Cape gerbil, Gerbilliscus afra, is a species of gerbil found only in South Africa. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry shrubland and temperate desert.
Animals of the same family as a Cape gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Eastern small-toothed rat with a weight of 357 grams
- Woosnam’s brush-furred rat with a weight of 42 grams
- Dalton’s mouse with a weight of 34 grams
- Southern climbing mouse with a weight of 89 grams
- Striped field mouse with a weight of 21 grams
- Neacomys tenuipes with a weight of 19 grams
- Annandale’s rat with a weight of 197 grams
- Diminutive woodrat with a weight of 80 grams
- King rat (animal) with a weight of 420 grams
- Glacier rat with a weight of 66 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Cape gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus afra:
- Peruvian Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Petter’s tufted-tailed rat bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Chestnut white-bellied rat bringing 81 grams to the scale
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat bringing 85 grams to the scale
- Pink fairy armadillo bringing 86 grams to the scale
- Geoffroy’s rousette bringing 74 grams to the scale
- White-tailed antelope squirrel bringing 104 grams to the scale
- Australian swamp rat bringing 106 grams to the scale
- Wetzel’s climbing mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Miller’s mastiff bat bringing 98 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Cape gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (3) as a Cape gerbil: