How many baby Greenish yellow bats are in a litter?
A Greenish yellow bat (Scotophilus viridis) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Scotophilus). An adult Greenish yellow bat grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The greenish yellow bat (Scotophilus viridis) is a species of vesper bat. It is found in Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry and moist savanna.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Greenish yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Whitehead’s woolly bat weighting only 3 grams
- White-bellied lesser house bat weighting only 10 grams
- Flores woolly bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western bent-winged bat weighting only 14 grams
- Eptesicus demissus weighting only 13 grams
- Gould’s wattled bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Serotine bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Whiskered bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser mouse-eared bat weighting only 21 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Greenish yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Radde’s shrew
- Lesser cane rat
- Mountain ground squirrel
- Red hocicudo
- Golden bandicoot
- Southern pig-footed bandicoot
- Brown deer mouse
- Stripe-necked mongoose
- Short-tailed chinchilla
- Brown mouse lemur
Animals with the same weight as a Greenish yellow bat
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Agile gracile opossum weighting 22 grams
- Thomas’s shrew tenrec weighting 22 grams
- Davies’s big-eared bat weighting 18 grams
- Bogotá yellow-shouldered bat weighting 19 grams
- Gerbil mouse weighting 17 grams
- Sumichrast’s harvest mouse weighting 19 grams
- Tschudi’s yellow-shouldered bat weighting 21 grams
- Kilimanjaro shrew weighting 16 grams
- Santa Cruz mouse weighting 21 grams
- Goldman’s nectar bat weighting 21 grams