How many baby Little forest bats are in a litter?
A Little forest bat (Vespadelus vulturnus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 23 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Vespadelus). An adult Little forest bat grows up to a size of 19.7 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The little forest bat (Vespadelus vulturnus) is a species of vesper bat in the family Vespertilionidae.It is found only in south-eastern Australia, including Tasmania. It is a tiny bat often weighing less than 4 g (0.14 oz) (males in some areas weigh as little as 2.5 g (0.088 oz)). It is sometimes referred to as Australia’s smallest mammal, although the Northern or Koopmans Pipistrelle, Pipistrellus westralis, is possibly smaller, weighing on average around 3 g (0.11 oz). It is the smallest bat in Tasmania
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Little forest bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Fraternal myotis with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eptesicus demissus weighting only 13 grams
- African yellow bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Hairy-tailed bat weighting only 14 grams
- Big-eared brown bat weighting only 11 grams
- Yuma myotis becoming 8.75 years old
- Montane myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Long-fingered bat weighting only 8 grams
- Myotis vivesi becoming 10 years old
Animals that share a litter size with Little forest bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Masoala fork-marked lemur
- Yellow-spotted rock hyrax
- Tonkin snub-nosed monkey
- Dent’s vlei rat
- Western woolly lemur
- Japanese macaque
- Rhesus macaque
- Pale-throated sloth
- Goitered gazelle
Animals with the same weight as a Little forest bat
What other animals weight around 3 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Southeastern shrew weighting 3 grams
- Bottego’s shrew weighting 3 grams
- Whiskered bat weighting 3 grams
- Thumbless bat weighting 3 grams
- Johnston’s forest shrew weighting 3 grams
- Preble’s shrew weighting 3 grams
- Pygmy shrew tenrec weighting 3 grams
- Inyo shrew weighting 3 grams
- Ashy roundleaf bat weighting 3 grams
- Angulate pipistrelle weighting 3 grams