How many baby Little red flying foxs are in a litter?
A Little red flying fox (Pteropus scapulatus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 45 grams (0.1 lbs) and measure 15 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Pteropus). An adult Little red flying fox grows up to a size of 27.2 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The little red flying-fox (Pteropus scapulatus) is a megachiropteran bat native to northern and eastern Australia. The species weighs about half a kilogram, one US pound, and is the smallest species of Pteropus at the Australian mainland. P. scapulatus occurs at the coast and further inland, camping and flying to the tropical to temperate regions that provide them with an annual source of nectar. They exhibit an unusual method of obtaining drinking water during dry periods, skimming a stream’s surface to gather it onto their fur while they are in flight.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Little red flying fox is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Black-eared flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ceram fruit bat weighting only 228 grams
- Dayak fruit bat weighting only 81 grams
- Dragon tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 30 grams
- Rodrigues flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Beaufort’s naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 165 grams
- Halmahera blossom bat weighting only 39 grams
- Island tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 107 grams
- Egyptian fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant golden-crowned flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Little red flying fox
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Goldman’s woodrat
- Scaly-tailed possum
- Père David’s deer
- Western woolly lemur
- Golden snub-nosed monkey
- Railer bat
- Egyptian free-tailed bat
- White-beaked dolphin
- Mountain nyala
Animals with the same weight as a Little red flying fox
What other animals weight around 379 grams (0.84 lbs)?
- Long-tailed armored tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Striped possum weighting 413 grams
- Samoa flying fox weighting 309 grams
- Anderson’s four-eyed opossum weighting 324 grams
- Buffy-tufted marmoset weighting 387 grams
- Catamarca tuco-tuco weighting 316 grams
- Japen rat weighting 380 grams
- Natterer’s tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Prevost’s squirrel weighting 400 grams
- Lyle’s flying fox weighting 319 grams