How many baby Pale gerbils are in a litter?
A Pale gerbil (Gerbillus perpallidus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 20 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3.4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Gerbillus). An adult Pale gerbil grows up to a size of 6.3 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The pale gerbil (Gerbillus perpallidus) is endemic to Egypt and is distributed mainly in the northwestern part of the country. It is also known as the pallid gerbil. The pale gerbil has pale orange fur, with white underparts, white forelimbs and white feet. The ears are unpigmented and the soles of the feet are haired, which is a characteristic of sand-dwelling gerbils.It averages 22 to 27 cm in length, and weights 26-49 g.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Pale gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Eastern small-toothed rat weighting only 357 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting only 31 grams
- Bolam’s mouse weighting only 15 grams
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Junín grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Van Deusen’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern grasshopper mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Southern big-eared mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Andean leaf-eared mouse weighting only 53 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Pale gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Tropical pocket gopher
- Peromyscus maniculatus
- Steppe lemming
- Red-tailed chipmunk
- Talas tuco-tuco
- Transcaucasian mole vole
- Akodon azarae
- European hedgehog
- Southern African hedgehog
- Sandstone false antechinus
Animals with the same weight as a Pale gerbil
What other animals weight around 52 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Arends’s golden mole weighting 52 grams
- Temchuk’s bolo mouse weighting 47 grams
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting 60 grams
- Long-nosed dasyure weighting 54 grams
- Ernst Mayr’s water rat weighting 42 grams
- Fat-tailed gerbil weighting 47 grams
- Southern red-sided opossum weighting 48 grams
- Asian house shrew weighting 43 grams
- California mouse weighting 42 grams
- Nephelomys auriventer weighting 60 grams