How many baby Red-tailed sportive lemurs are in a litter?
A Red-tailed sportive lemur (Lepilemur ruficaudatus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 136 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 27 grams (0.06 lbs) and measure 10.7 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Megaladapidae family (genus: Lepilemur). An adult Red-tailed sportive lemur grows up to a size of 25.5 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The red-tailed sportive lemur (Lepilemur ruficaudatus), or red-tailed weasel lemur, is native to Madagascar like all lemurs. It is a nocturnal species feeding largely on leaves, though they also eat some fruit. Individuals weigh around 800 g (1.8 lb), and there is little sexual dimorphism. In general they live in mated pairs, with a home range of about 10,000 square metres. Both members of the pair use the same home range, and there is little overlap between the home ranges of neighbouring pairs. Travel distances each night are between 100 m (330 ft) and 1 km (0.6 mi), making this a relatively inactive species. This species can be found in the Madagascar dry deciduous forests.Red-tailed Sportive Lemurs travel in this pairs because it can be difficult for a male to produce roaming strategies and move farther away from the homeland. Therefore, they typically pair up with only one female for reproduction, hence their “partner.” Additionally, these Lemurs don’t typically have a strong early warning system, making it difficult for them to warm others or send a signal. Instead, they have grown to develop strong escape mechanisms for them to flee danger. Many studies and experiments have been conducted to produce this information.
Other animals of the family Megaladapidae
Red-tailed sportive lemur is a member of the Megaladapidae, as are these animals:
- Weasel sportive lemur with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed sportive lemur with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Small-toothed sportive lemur weighting only 955 grams
- Northern sportive lemur with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Milne-Edwards’ sportive lemur weighting only 822 grams
- Gray-backed sportive lemur with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Red-tailed sportive lemur
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Pennant’s colobus
- Sambar deer
- Black wallaroo
- Black-crested Sumatran langur
- Spectacled bear
- Van Gelder’s bat
- Gilbert’s potoroo
- Silvery lutung
- Giant panda
Animals with the same weight as a Red-tailed sportive lemur
What other animals weight around 763 grams (1.68 lbs)?
- Black-bearded flying fox weighting 872 grams
- Giant white-tailed rat weighting 644 grams
- Central American squirrel monkey weighting 714 grams
- Long-nosed short-tailed opossum weighting 765 grams
- Utah prairie dog weighting 900 grams
- White-eared titi weighting 898 grams
- Cacomistle weighting 906 grams
- Spix’s night monkey weighting 873 grams
- Bronze quoll weighting 896 grams
- Namaqua slender mongoose weighting 750 grams