How many baby Tien Shan birch mouses are in a litter?
A Tien Shan birch mouse (Sicista tianshanica) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 24 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Dipodidae family (genus: Sicista). An adult Tien Shan birch mouse grows up to a size of 18.5 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Tien Shan birch mouse (Sicista tianshanica) is a species of rodent in the family Dipodidae. It is found in China, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Other animals of the family Dipodidae
Tien Shan birch mouse is a member of the Dipodidae, as are these animals:
- Blanford’s jerboa with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Woodland jumping mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Southern birch mouse weighting only 11 grams
- Greater Egyptian jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Gobi jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lichtenstein’s jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Northern birch mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Euphrates jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Northern three-toed jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Tien Shan birch mouse
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once: