How many baby Northern three-toed jerboas are in a litter?
A Northern three-toed jerboa (Dipus sagitta) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 27 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Dipodidae family (genus: Dipus). An adult Northern three-toed jerboa grows up to a size of 11.6 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The northern three-toed jerboa (Dipus sagitta) is a species of rodent in the family Dipodidae. It is monotypic within the genus Dipus.It ranges across Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, China and Mongolia. A common species, the International Union for Conservation of Nature rates it as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Dipodidae
Northern three-toed jerboa is a member of the Dipodidae, as are these animals:
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Bobrinski’s jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Severtzov’s jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Tien Shan birch mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Thick-tailed pygmy jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Meadow jumping mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Altai birch mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser fat-tailed jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Baluchistan pygmy jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Great jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Northern three-toed jerboa
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Hispid pocket mouse
- Lesser mole-rat
- Humboldt’s hog-nosed skunk
- Bicolored shrew
- Japanese mole
- Desert mouse
- Juniper vole
- Yucatan deer mouse
- Graphiurus hueti
- Eastern pygmy possum
Animals with the same weight as a Northern three-toed jerboa
What other animals weight around 89 grams (0.2 lbs)?
- Mountain spiny pocket mouse weighting 74 grams
- Big-eared woolly bat weighting 78 grams
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat weighting 79 grams
- Short-tailed hopping mouse weighting 89 grams
- Long-eared chipmunk weighting 83 grams
- Goldman’s spiny pocket mouse weighting 85 grams
- Greater musky fruit bat weighting 79 grams
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse weighting 75 grams
- Splendid climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Peruvian Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams