It is hard to guess what a Red acouchi weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Red acouchi (Myoprocta exilis) on average weights 1.25 kg (2.76 lbs).
The Red acouchi is from the family Dasyproctidae (genus: Myoprocta). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 36.3 cm (1′ 3″). Usually, Red acouchis have 2 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The red acouchi, Myoprocta acouchy, is a species of rodent in the acouchi genus, part of the family Dasyproctidae, from South America. It is found in the Guyanan subregion of the Amazon biome, including Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Brazil, east of the Rio Branco and mainly north of the Amazon, with a few records from south of the Amazon. In the past, some authors have applied the name M. acouchy to the green acouchi instead and used M. exilis for the red acouchi, but this is now obsolete.It not only hoards seeds, but also chews off the protruding sprouts to prevent germination.
Animals of the same family as a Red acouchi
We found other animals of the Dasyproctidae family:
- Red-rumped agouti bringing 3.02 kilos (6.66 lbs) to the scale
- Crested agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
- Red acouchi with a weight of 949 grams
- Orinoco agouti bringing 2.65 kilos (5.84 lbs) to the scale
- Central American agouti bringing 2.31 kilos (5.09 lbs) to the scale
- Azara’s agouti bringing 2.98 kilos (6.57 lbs) to the scale
- Mexican agouti bringing 5 kilos (11.02 lbs) to the scale
- Black agouti bringing 3.5 kilos (7.72 lbs) to the scale
- Black-rumped agouti bringing 2.9 kilos (6.39 lbs) to the scale
- Green acouchi with a weight of 966 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Red acouchi
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Myoprocta exilis:
- Sunda flying lemur with a weight of 1.11 kilos (2.45 lbs)
- Cream-coloured giant squirrel with a weight of 1.16 kilos (2.56 lbs)
- Hispaniolan hutia with a weight of 1.27 kilos (2.8 lbs)
- Plush-coated ringtail possum with a weight of 1.12 kilos (2.47 lbs)
- Montane guinea pig with a weight of 1 kilos (2.2 lbs)
- Pichi with a weight of 1.49 kilos (3.28 lbs)
- Lesser grison with a weight of 1 kilos (2.2 lbs)
- Black-footed cat with a weight of 1.36 kilos (3 lbs)
- Southern three-banded armadillo with a weight of 1.32 kilos (2.91 lbs)
- Japanese marten with a weight of 1 kilos (2.2 lbs)
Animals with the same litter size as a Red acouchi
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a Red acouchi: