How many baby Crested agoutis are in a litter?
A Crested agouti (Dasyprocta cristata) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6.87 kg (15.15 lbs) and measure 62.1 cm (2′ 1″). They are a member of the Dasyproctidae family (genus: Dasyprocta). An adult Crested agouti grows up to a size of 17.5 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The crested agouti (Dasyprocta cristata) is a species of rodent in the family Dasyproctidae. It is endemic to Guyana and Suriname. Its taxonomic status is uncertain and it may be synonymous with Dasyprocta leporina, leading the IUCN to rate it as Data Deficient.
Other animals of the family Dasyproctidae
Crested agouti is a member of the Dasyproctidae, as are these animals:
- Red-rumped agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-rumped agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black agouti weighting around 3.5 kilograms (7.72 lbs)
- Mexican agouti weighting around 5 kilograms (11.02 lbs)
- Red acouchi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Central American agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Orinoco agouti weighting around 2.65 kilograms (5.84 lbs)
- Azara’s agouti weighting around 2.98 kilograms (6.57 lbs)
- Red acouchi with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Green acouchi with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Crested agouti
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat
- North American river otter
- American pika
- Plantain squirrel
- Western gray squirrel
- Golden lion tamarin
- African civet
- Turbo shrew
- Armored rat
- Fat-tailed dwarf lemur
Animals with the same weight as a Crested agouti
What other animals weight around 2.65 kg (5.84 lbs)?
- Black bearded saki usually reaching 2.97 kgs (6.55 lbs)
- Black lemur usually reaching 2.48 kgs (5.47 lbs)
- Kaapori capuchin usually reaching 3 kgs (6.61 lbs)
- Bengal fox usually reaching 2.51 kgs (5.53 lbs)
- Rufous rat-kangaroo usually reaching 2.81 kgs (6.19 lbs)
- Indian hare usually reaching 2.3 kgs (5.07 lbs)
- Broom hare usually reaching 2.83 kgs (6.24 lbs)
- Dusky pademelon usually reaching 2.74 kgs (6.04 lbs)
- Palawan stink badger usually reaching 2.5 kgs (5.51 lbs)
- Hoary bamboo rat usually reaching 2.45 kgs (5.4 lbs)