How many baby Green acouchis are in a litter?
A Green acouchi (Myoprocta pratti) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 99 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 79 grams (0.17 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Dasyproctidae family (genus: Myoprocta). An adult Green acouchi grows up to a size of 10.9 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The green acouchi (Myoprocta pratti) is a species of rodent in the acouchi genus, part of the family Dasyproctidae, from South America. Its distribution is in western Amazonia, west of the Rios Negro and Madeira, in northwestern Brazil, northeastern Peru, eastern Ecuador, southeastern Colombia, and southern Venezuela. There is substantial variation within this range, and the Green Acouchi, as currently recognized, may contain more than one species. Because the application of the scientific name acouchy, currently in use for the Red Acouchi, has historically been disputed, the name Myoprocta acouchy has sometimes been used for this species instead of Myoprocta pratti. The species is named for Antwerp Edgar Pratt who was a British naturalist.
Other animals of the family Dasyproctidae
Green acouchi is a member of the Dasyproctidae, as are these animals:
- Red-rumped agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red acouchi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Crested agouti with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Kalinowski’s agouti weighting around 2.65 kilograms (5.84 lbs)
- Black-rumped agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican agouti weighting around 5 kilograms (11.02 lbs)
- Azara’s agouti weighting around 2.98 kilograms (6.57 lbs)
- Red acouchi with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Orinoco agouti weighting around 2.65 kilograms (5.84 lbs)
- Central American agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Green acouchi
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Black bearded saki
- Greater mouse-eared bat
- Townsend’s mole
- Black-crested Sumatran langur
- Rufous elephant shrew
- Mona monkey
- Admiralty Island cuscus
- Jalapan pine vole
- Père David’s vole
- Harp seal
Animals with the same weight as a Green acouchi
What other animals weight around 966 grams (2.13 lbs)?
- Desert cottontail weighting 882 grams
- White-eared titi weighting 898 grams
- Ring-tailed vontsira weighting 815 grams
- Plush-coated ringtail possum usually reaching 1.12 kgs (2.47 lbs)
- Sunda flying lemur usually reaching 1.11 kgs (2.45 lbs)
- Lesser grison usually reaching 1 kgs (2.2 lbs)
- Northern greater galago weighting 812 grams
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk weighting 960 grams
- European hedgehog weighting 789 grams
- Coppery titi usually reaching 1.12 kgs (2.47 lbs)