How many baby Greater long-tailed hamsters are in a litter?
A Greater long-tailed hamster (Tscherskia triton) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Tscherskia). An adult Greater long-tailed hamster grows up to a size of 47.4 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The greater long-tailed hamster (Tscherskia triton) is a major crop-eating rodent that resides in Northern China. It is the only member of the genus Tscherskia. Some authorities maintain that the 15th gua of the Yi Jing (I Ching) refers repeatedly to this animal. The animal has been a major pest since ancient times and also has a habit of standing up on its rear legs and screaming loudly.The genetic diversity of Tscherskia triton has a positive correlation to population density when using microsatellite markers.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Greater long-tailed hamster is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Savanna gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Moss-forest rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Western harvest mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Transbaikal zokor with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Capricorn leaf-eared mouse weighting only 50 grams
- Rudd’s mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Broad-toothed mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Tiny fat mouse weighting only 5 grams
- Oligoryzomys fulvescens with 3 babies per pregnancy
- New Guinea waterside rat weighting only 526 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Greater long-tailed hamster
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Plateau mouse
- Golden-backed tree-rat
- Grassland mosaic-tailed rat
- Andean mouse
- Myosorex varius
- Western barred bandicoot
- Maned wolf
- Natal multimammate mouse
- Tasmanian devil
- Eurasian otter
Animals with the same weight as a Greater long-tailed hamster
What other animals weight around 13 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Merida small-eared shrew weighting 12 grams
- Talamancan yellow-shouldered bat weighting 11 grams
- Southeast Asian shrew weighting 12 grams
- Common bent-wing bat weighting 11 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat weighting 11 grams
- Nelson’s pocket mouse weighting 15 grams
- Telefomin roundleaf bat weighting 15 grams
- Great bent-winged bat weighting 15 grams
- Welwitsch’s bat weighting 15 grams
- Negros shrew weighting 11 grams