How many baby Libyan jirds are in a litter?
A Libyan jird (Meriones libycus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Meriones). An adult Libyan jird grows up to a size of 15 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Libyan jird (Meriones libycus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is found in Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Western China. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, intermittent saline lakes, hot deserts, and rural gardens.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Libyan jird is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Handleyomys melanotis with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Darling Downs hopping mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Oecomys superans weighting only 73 grams
- Woosnam’s brush-furred rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Central rock rat weighting only 100 grams
- Ungava collared lemming with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Malayan field rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Grant’s rock mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Namaqua rock rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Sloggett’s vlei rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Libyan jird
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Giant kangaroo rat
- Alpine marmot
- Panamint chipmunk
- Indian bush rat
- Nolthenius’s long-tailed climbing mouse
- Small five-toed jerboa
- North African gerbil
- Hoary marmot
- Himalayan shrew
- Visayan warty pig
Animals with the same weight as a Libyan jird
What other animals weight around 91 grams (0.2 lbs)?
- Dayak fruit bat weighting 81 grams
- Oecomys speciosus weighting 73 grams
- Highveld gerbil weighting 89 grams
- Low’s squirrel weighting 85 grams
- California chipmunk weighting 73 grams
- Asian garden dormouse weighting 100 grams
- Aegialomys xanthaeolus weighting 79 grams
- Kobe mole weighting 95 grams
- Slender Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Leschenault’s rousette weighting 84 grams