How many baby Dwarf fat-tailed jerboas are in a litter?
A Dwarf fat-tailed jerboa (Pygeretmus pumilio) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 27 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 192 grams (0.42 lbs) and measure 15 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Dipodidae family (genus: Pygeretmus). An adult Dwarf fat-tailed jerboa grows up to a size of 64.7 cm (2′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The dwarf fat-tailed jerboa (Pygeretmus pumilio) is a species of rodent in the family Dipodidae. It is found in China, Iran, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Russia. They mostly reside in desert environments which can explain their size. They go long periods of time without food and water, which means they need a lower metabolic rate, and can be a reason for their size.
Other animals of the family Dipodidae
Dwarf fat-tailed jerboa is a member of the Dipodidae, as are these animals:
- Lichtenstein’s jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Small five-toed jerboa with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Northern birch mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Great jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Comb-toed jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Blanford’s jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Northern three-toed jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Pacific jumping mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Severtzov’s jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Bobrinski’s jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Dwarf fat-tailed jerboa
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Wagner’s gerbil
- White-tailed rat
- Bolivian big-eared mouse
- Trowbridge’s shrew
- Taiwanese brown-toothed shrew
- Arizona gray squirrel
- Northern brown bandicoot
- Hylaeamys megacephalus
- Rock vole
- Pampas fox
Animals with the same weight as a Dwarf fat-tailed jerboa
What other animals weight around 52 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Red-nosed mouse weighting 46 grams
- Bornean smooth-tailed treeshrew weighting 60 grams
- Hylaeamys yunganus weighting 60 grams
- Brock’s yellow-eared bat weighting 48 grams
- Large vesper mouse weighting 45 grams
- White-throated grass mouse weighting 42 grams
- Puebla deer mouse weighting 59 grams
- Talazac’s shrew tenrec weighting 45 grams
- Eastern broad-toothed field mouse weighting 43 grams
- Oryzomys gorgasi weighting 60 grams