How many baby Red acouchis are in a litter?
A Red acouchi (Myoprocta exilis) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 99 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 76 grams (0.17 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Dasyproctidae family (genus: Myoprocta). An adult Red acouchi grows up to a size of 36.3 cm (1′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The red acouchi, Myoprocta acouchy, is a species of rodent in the acouchi genus, part of the family Dasyproctidae, from South America. It is found in the Guyanan subregion of the Amazon biome, including Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Brazil, east of the Rio Branco and mainly north of the Amazon, with a few records from south of the Amazon. In the past, some authors have applied the name M. acouchy to the green acouchi instead and used M. exilis for the red acouchi, but this is now obsolete.It not only hoards seeds, but also chews off the protruding sprouts to prevent germination.
Other animals of the family Dasyproctidae
Red acouchi is a member of the Dasyproctidae, as are these animals:
- Red acouchi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Crested agouti with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Green acouchi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Central American agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-rumped agouti with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican agouti weighting around 5 kilograms (11.02 lbs)
- Azara’s agouti weighting around 2.98 kilograms (6.57 lbs)
- Orinoco agouti weighting around 2.65 kilograms (5.84 lbs)
- Black agouti weighting around 3.5 kilograms (7.72 lbs)
- Kalinowski’s agouti weighting around 2.65 kilograms (5.84 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Red acouchi
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Lusitanian pine vole
- Baird’s pocket gopher
- Golden lion tamarin
- Himalayan striped squirrel
- Rock hyrax
- Masked palm civet
- Fennec fox
- Collie’s squirrel
- Bushy-tailed jird
- Menzbier’s marmot
Animals with the same weight as a Red acouchi
What other animals weight around 1.25 kg (2.76 lbs)?
- Philippine flying lemur usually reaching 1.25 kgs (2.76 lbs)
- Lesser grison usually reaching 1 kgs (2.2 lbs)
- Marsh rabbit usually reaching 1.36 kgs (3 lbs)
- Northern olingo usually reaching 1.2 kgs (2.65 lbs)
- Servaline genet usually reaching 1.24 kgs (2.73 lbs)
- Long-nosed potoroo usually reaching 1.07 kgs (2.36 lbs)
- Thomas’s flying squirrel usually reaching 1.43 kgs (3.15 lbs)
- Great flying fox usually reaching 1.02 kgs (2.25 lbs)
- Poncelet’s giant rat usually reaching 1 kgs (2.2 lbs)
- Big-eared opossum usually reaching 1.11 kgs (2.45 lbs)