How many baby Van Gelder’s bats are in a litter?
A Van Gelder’s bat (Bauerus dubiaquercus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 14 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Bauerus). An adult Van Gelder’s bat grows up to a size of 37.9 cm (1′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Van Gelder’s bat (Bauerus dubiaquercus) is a species of vesper bat in the family Vespertilionidae.It is found in Belize, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Mexico. The species is monotypic within its genus. It is part of the tribe Antrozoini within the subfamily Vespertilioninae and is related to the pallid bat (Antrozous pallidus). The bat is found in forest habitat from sea level to elevations as high as 2300 m, although not usually above 1300 m, and is insectivorous and crepuscular. It apparently has a fragmented distribution, and is threatened by deforestation.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Van Gelder’s bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Harlequin bat weighting only 22 grams
- Tropical big-eared brown bat weighting only 11 grams
- Asian particolored bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern broad-nosed bat weighting only 8 grams
- Hairy-legged myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Southern yellow bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Chinese pipistrelle weighting only 5 grams
- Surat serotine weighting only 13 grams
- Abo bat weighting only 6 grams
- Rüppell’s pipistrelle with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Van Gelder’s bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Northern nail-tail wallaby
- Hamadryas baboon
- Unadorned rock-wallaby
- Fox’s shrew
- Zanzibar red colobus
- Green bush squirrel
- Colombian white-faced capuchin
- Insular single leaf bat
- Walia ibex
Animals with the same weight as a Van Gelder’s bat
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Andean vesper mouse weighting 20 grams
- Thomas’s broad-nosed bat weighting 26 grams
- Davies’s big-eared bat weighting 18 grams
- Juliana’s golden mole weighting 22 grams
- Lesser long-nosed bat weighting 22 grams
- White-footed vole weighting 23 grams
- Oligoryzomys magellanicus weighting 25 grams
- Chiriqui harvest mouse weighting 22 grams
- Yellow golden mole weighting 24 grams
- Red tree vole weighting 22 grams